Home » Uncategorized » Coming soon to a theater near you

Coming soon to a theater near you

“The Examined Life.” Get more info and see the trailer here. Watch out for my hero, Cornel West: “I’m a blues man in the life of the mind.”

(Thanks to Sohrab for the link!)

1. aaronthejanitorking says:

Its to bad there are no plans for this film to come anywhere near utah. I would really like to have been able to see it.

2. mbrasmuson says:

This has nothing to do with theaters coming soon, but I just watched a documentary on Derrida. It is wonderful. Zeitgeist films.

3. mbrasmuson says:

uh…that is movies coming soon to theaters.

How could it possibly have been wonderful?

5. A talk of his impact would have been quite interesting. A microbe of his writing would have made it pure hell.

6. More theaters are coming? Are they being helicoptered in?

7. Jon Adams says:

Mark, the Derrida doc was interesting, but the Zizek doc was a rambling, incoherent mess (much like its subjec, I suppose). Zeitgeist docs are hit and miss; I hope this particular film–“The Examined Life”–is a hit.

8. robsica says:

Examined Life will soon be available on DVD. I found it a generally enjoyable romp. My favorite appearances were those of Singer and Zizek — though for perhaps diametrically opposed reasons. (Singer, on Fifth Avenue, making a compellingly simple case for us to reform our consumption in light of global poverty; Zizek, at a garbage dump, making an anti-Heideggerian call for us to become “more artificial”, to abandon autocthony-nostalgia, and associated cryto-Christian notions of an undisturbed nature lurking beneath contemporary “ecological thinking”, and learn to embrace and find beauty in our figurative and literal waste products.) The weakest appearance is, no surprise, by pomo-jargonizing Avital Ronell, and the Butler segment is surprisingly tolerable owing to her company — the director’s sister, an artist and disability-rights advocate. West is charming in his energetically allusive and glib way.

I found the director’s previous film (‘Zizek’) far more amusing than Kirby Dick’s Derrida film (which will only confirm the dismissive stance of the dismissive).

Long ago, as an undergrad, I wanted to make a documentary composed of interviews with philosophers. The idea was to ask some unrevealed specific question to each of them, and then weave the responses together in a way that would render mysterious to the viewer what the question was.

That’s a great idea for a film. Can I ask what your question would have been? How about: “What, in your mind, is humanity’s most embarrassing episode?”

10. Aaron Johnson says:

This movie is going to be playing in the Tower Theater in Salt Lake City on June 5-11.

11. Jon Adams says:

I’ll be there (the Tower Theater), then. Thanks, Aaron.

Let me know when you guys are going and I’ll try to make the same show (not that you know me or what I look like) ;).

What I’d like to know is “We’ve had ‘the bomb’ for quite some time now. What do you think it is that has kept humanity from blowing itself up?”

When I watch those new global warming commercials with the ekg flatline I get freaked out but not so much about global warming. For me it’s still the bomb.