Home » Uncategorized » Lunch with a philosopher

Lunch with a philosopher

Okay, quiz time. Which philosopher would you most like to have lunch with? (Make the obvious assumptions: pretend they’re not dead, that you speak the same language, the service and food are good, etc.)

1. shaunmiller says:

I think it would be an awkward lunch for whom I voted for.

As much as I’d like to lunch with Nietzsche, the fact that Plato is from such a different time period than us puts me in his corner. From what I’ve heard of Wittgenstein, I’m not sure we’d get along in person. I’d only eat lunch with Heidegger if I could kick him in the nuts afterward. Kant… bleh, not remotely interested.

Why an awkward lunch, Shaun? Is your plan to lunch with Heidegger and repeatedly call him a Nazi-nazi-nazi?

4. Doug says:

I voted to have lunch with Nietzsche; however, after thinking about how awkward that would be after he ripped me apart for not finding my own “lunch”, I think I will change my vote to plato.

Since Nietzsche was not a real fan of Women, Christians, Jews, followers, etc; it might be difficult conversation. Although, I suppose we could just point and laugh at everyone walking by that fits one of these descriptions.

I would also enjoy sitting with Sean and calling Heidegger a Nazi several times too. It all sounds so delightful.

5. Clay says:

I would feel overwhelmed trying to have a conversation with any of these men. However, if I chose Nietzsche we could at least talk about his health and his interesting back packing experiences throughout Europe.

6. Clay says:

Huenemann- Would it be Heidegger pre or post WWII?

Oh, pre-war, definitely – more interesting.

8. shaunmiller says:

Actually, I think having lunch with any of them would be awkward, maybe with the exception of Plato. Kant seems too quiet, but maybe it’s because I don’t know much of his personal life.

Wittgenstein, I’m sure he’d think we’re all idiots just to come together for lunch and we end up discussing philosophy.

Nietzsche, I would imagine lunching with him would be interesting, but not really sure where it’s going to go.

Heidegger, well after having some light banter, I think he would conclude that having lunch with me was a waste of his time and that we need to go back and look at Being.

I voted for Wittgenstein, by the way. For some reason, I’d figure a lunch with Wittgenstein would be the least awkward, with the exception of Plato, but I don’t think I’d be interested in lunching with him anyways.