Home » Uncategorized » Science and morality

Science and morality

Head on over to the SHAFT website to hear a TED lecture by Sam Harris on science and morality.  He basically argues against the is-ought problem and promotes an ‘ethics of human flourishing’ which can be informed by science.  I (Kleiner) posted a very long comment in which I point out the striking similarities between Harris’ view and Aristotelian/Thomistic eudaimonistic natural law ethics.  To be perfectly honest I don’t just point them out, I gloat.

1. blood_and_ashes says:

Always enjoy the gloating Harrison, even when brats like Hunt try to put ya down. Thanks as always for talking by the stairs.

2. Source says:

I wouldn’t want to call names online, but let me back Will up in assuring you that we all love you.

No need to prop me up, friends. Do I make it seem like my feelings get hurt or something? They don’t. I do get frustrated by the persistence in error when errors have been compassionately corrected. But such as it is. I am fully aware that when I engage SHAFTers I put myself deep into enemy territory. I actually like it there.

4. Source says:

It’s just your one-man crusade. I assume that sometimes it gets tiring. I’m glad you like it, though; SHAFTblog would be boring without you.

5. Jake says:

Is Harris rejecting Kant’s categorical imperative?

6. Hunt says:

Ha! When I’m done with Kleiner, he’s going to be the fifth horseman.

7. Eric says:

That’s most the reason I visit the SHAFT blog is to read what Kleiner has to say.

8. Horsemen are fascinating figures, I wouldn’t mind, but you’ve had your ass handed to you pretty regularly thus far. I don’t know what “shotgun” you were implying about but Harrison came armed, and its clear now under your big dark coat was a spoon, that you clung to still in rigor mortis.

9. Hunt says:

Well, don’t worry about it B&A, from now on I’m going to leave Kleiner to his rosary beads. But instead of pestering SHAFT, I think his formidable philosophical skills would be better directed solving the seemingly insuperable problem of how to keep condomless priests out of choirboys.

• Kleiner says:

Thank you for the substantive and thoughtful contribution, Hunt.

B&A, let’s not incite anything else. I’d prefer to keep our discussions free of this sort of nonsense.

• Source says:

I would also like to request that we all keep discussion serious and impersonal. People are not their ideas; although it’s easy to be cruel on the internet because you never see a face and never face repercussions, personal attacks lead nowhere and destroy the spirit of openness needed for philosophic discussion.

10. Hunt says:

Who will educate the educators?

— Marx